Another report here with a look-back at what I did this week and what is planned for the next week, so here we go:
- I started to write a Totem plugin which allows searching for recent media logged in Zeitgeist, so far it's very similar to the Youtube plugin (probably because I borrowed the UI from there), but it indeed does search Zeitgeist. There were a few pecularities with the plugin, so I'll rant here a bit about the documentation - if TotemVideoList requires a reference to TotemObject, it'd be nice to mention this in the documentation - it's far from obvious that one needs to call g_object_set (video_list, "totem", totem_obj, NULL) for it to not crash when one clicks on an item in the widget. Then there were some other crashes when I didn't set "tooltip-column" property, but ok, that one wasn't that hard to figure out.
The plugin was pushed to zeitgeist-dataproviders, but as Seif said, it's not a dataprovider, so he removed it from there, and so far I do not know where we'll push these non-logging plugins. Anyway it's there but you have to revert to revision 78.
- I helped Seif with Sezen, cause I got quite different data and it was loading very slowly for me - so I tried to use everywhere async gio calls, and after some tweaking it was working much better. Btw. Siegfried just pushed Sezen to Zeitgeist PPA , so feel free to check it out.
- I was still quite unhappy with the responsiveness of Sezen, so I ported it to Vala , but to my surprise the thumbnail fetching in the Vala version is *much* slower than in the python version and I don't really know why. In both python and Vala, I'm trying to load all the thumbnails at once, and while in python this works fine, I was getting "too many open files" error in Vala, so I introduced an async method which limits how many thumbnails can be being fetched at one time (while the others are waiting) and that seems to work quite well, but I still have a feeling that the python version is faster.